Thursday 12 February 2015

Birds at Winkworth, 9th-11th February 2015

A rather quiet few days on the bird front but still a few goodies to report...

A Sparrowhawk was again displaying over Magnolia Wood on Wednesday morning - it will be interesting to see if they breed here.

A Skylark flew west-northwest while I was out on Sorbus Hill first thing on Tuesday morning  - my first record of one this year. Also a first record were the four Greylag Geese which flew south over the meadow on Wednesday afternoon (I don't count the two farmyard geese which are on the lake every day!). 

Down at Rowe's Flashe Lake there was a drake Pochard again on Monday and Tuesday, while fourteen Mandarin Ducks late on Wednesday afternoon was the highest count for me so far here - interesting also to see the drakes displaying. As I was counting the Mandarins I noted Water Rail calling in the Gunnera swamp across the dam from the lake, and Firecrest and Marsh Tit in the Hollies and Laurels just north of the boathouse.

Mandarins on Rowe's Flashe Lake

*

No comments:

Post a Comment